Derry City
Sligo Rovers

Friday, 2 August, 2013
1 - 2
SSE Airtricity League
Sligo Rovers picked up a deserved three points and continued to get the better of neighbours Derry City after a 2-1 win at The Brandywell.
Ian Baraclough’s men took their chances and showed their experience as they secured the victory.
David Cawley opened the scoring for the visitors after 65 minutes with Gary Rogers previously making a stunning penalty save from Rory Patterson, before substitute Danny North sealed the win with ten minutes remaining.
Sean Houston gave the home side hope in the final minute of the game but the Bit O'Red held on to move third in the table, just four points off the league leaders. 
Barry Molloy passed a fitness test, while striker Rory Patterson started the first game for a number of weeks, while Shane McEleney returned to play alongside Ryan McBride at the heart of the defence.
As for the champions David Cawley returned from suspension for Lee Lynch, while Pascal Millien was back on the bench after his recent international with Haiti.
Cawley had the first effort at goal on seven minutes but his 25-yard drive, which skipped off the wet surface, was parried away by City keeper Gerard Doherty.
After that impressive start the home side finally had a chance of their own on 17 minutes but Patterson’s long-range free-kick whistled just past Gary Rogers’ right-hand post.
Soon after, a clever through ball by Patrick McEleney released David McDaid down the left, but his well-hit shot from just inside the box, flashed wide.
Rovers should have taken the lead on 32 minutes when Joseph Ndo’s quickly taken free-kick caught out a static City defence to find David McMillan but with only Doherty to beat, the former UCD striker fired wide.
Straight away the home side moved forward but Simon Madden’s cross from the right nearly caught out Rogers, but the keeper did enough to push the ball behind.
City missed a gilt edge chance to break the deadlock after 55 minutes when they were awarded a penalty in controversial circumstances.
Patterson fell inside the Sligo box after Evan McMillan’s challenge and to the visitors' amazement the referee’s assistant waved his flag to signal a penalty.
However, Patterson’s resulting side-footed shot was saved by Rogers, who dived to his right to keep the ball out.
Just after the hour mark a slick passing move by McDaid and Paddy Kavanagh ended with the ex-Shamrock Rovers winger cutting the ball back for the front man, but he skied his effort over the bar.
Sligo took the lead in the 65th minute after a defensive mistake when the home side failed to clear the lines and the alert Cawley made no mistake drilling the ball home past Doherty, from the right-hand side of the box.
And the points were sealed in the 80th minute as North was played through one on one with Doherty and the former Saints striker made no mistake to make it 2-0.
Derry continued to push forward trying to get back into the game but Madden’s well-hit volley was superbly tipped over by a fully stretched Rogers.
The Candystripes deservedly pulled one back after 89 minutes, as Houston blasted the ball home, after Sligo failed to clear Eoghan Osbourne's cross.
Derry City: Doherty, Madden, McBride (Houston 79), S McEleney, Osbourne; Kavanagh (Duffy 85), Molloy, Higgins, P McEleney (Griffin 90), McDaid, Patterson.
Sligo Rovers: Rogers, Keane, Peers, E McMillan, Davoren (Henderson 78); Cawley, Ndo, Conneely; Cretaro, D McMillan (North 67), Djilali.
Referee: Mr Anthony Buttimer (Limerick).