Sligo Rovers

Monday, 21 April, 2014
0 - 2
SSE Airtricity League
Late goals from Evan McMillan and Danny North maintained Sligo Rovers’ revival as Bohemians sunk to a third defeat on the spin in this afternoon's SSE Airtricity League clash at Dalymount Park.
Former Bohemians central defender McMillan struck to give Sligo the lead in a dour game after 78 minutes, nodding home at the back post after Bohs keeper Lee Murphy failed to claim Kieran Djilali’s corner.
Substitute North then sealed the points three minutes into added time, pouncing on a mistake by Roberto Lopes, who failed to clear Sean Maguire’s cross, to score with a side-foot volley.
Jason Byrne should have got a goal back for Bohemians at the death but his penalty, following a handball by John Russell, was easily saved by Gary Rogers.
A desperately poor opening to the game was notable for an early injury that forced off Bohemians’ left-back Philip McCabe, who was making his first start of the season.
That meant a reshuffle, with Kevin Devaney coming into attack, which resulted in Steven Beattie, who started up front, dropping to right-back and Derek Pender moving across to the opposite flank.
The switch didn’t seem to affect Bohemians unduly as they shaded the first half exchanges.
Midfielder Craig Walsh had the first shot on target on 29 minutes, though it scarcely troubled Rogers in the Sligo goal.
Minutes later, Paddy Kavanagh’s ball over the top put Devaney in on goal but his hurried lob was well over the bar.
Devaney did far better in first half stoppage time, cutting skilfully between defenders Jeff Henderson and Ross Gaynor to bring a good parry save from Rogers.
Thankfully, the game brightened up a little further in the second half.
Bohemians winger Karl Moore got back well to make an important block to a Djilali goal-bound shot five minutes in.
A couple of minutes later, Bohemians skipper Dave Mulcahy glanced a header over the Sligo bar from a Ryan McEvoy free-kick.
Moore then got free on the left from keeper Murphy clearance to set up Walsh whose first time shot was narrowly wide.
Sligo didn’t pose a threat again until the 71st minute - when David Cawley shot wide from Russell’s lay-off - before they punished poor defending twice to seal the three points.
Bohemians: Lee Murphy; Derek Pender, Roberto Lopes, Aidan Price, Philly McCabe (Kevin Devaney 15); Dave Mulcahy;  Paddy Kavanagh (Jason Byrne 82), Craig Walsh (Stephen Traynor 64), Ryan McEvoy, Karl Moore; Steven Beattie.
Sligo Rovers: Gary Rogers; Alan Keane, Evan McMillan, Jeff Henderson, Ross Gaynor (John Russell 61); Kieran Djalili, David Cawley, Paul O’Conor (Danny North 61), Danny Ledwith; Joseph Ndo (Sean Maguire 77); Aaron Greene.
Referee: James McKell (Tipperary).
Attendance: 1,140