Sligo Rovers

Saturday, 6 December, 2014
1 - 2
SSE Airtricity League


Sligo Rovers fell to a 2-1 defeat to Dundalk in a tight affair at the Showgrounds today.

Rovers named an unchanged team from last week's game against Bohemians but despite a spectacular goal from Paul Doyle the visitors held on for the points.

Rovers made the brighter start to the game and should have scored first with several chances missed in the opening 20 minutes.

On 10 minutes Gary Boylan got his head to a curling free-kick by Gary Armstrong but flashed his attempt across goal and wide.

Ryan O'Donoghue looked set to score on 17 minutes when he got possession inside the Dundalk box and rounded their keeper but the away side had a man back on the line to clear.

Just a minute later Liam Flatley got some room on the edge of the area to have a shot but he dragged it wide without worrying the keeper.

On 28 minutes Regan Donelon surged forward into the box and hammered the ball at goal first time but at full stretch the keeper got there to save by pushing the ball wide for a corner.

Against the run of play Dundalk took the lead on 33 minutes but with a lovely goal. Garreth Craven picked the ball up outside the box and hit a great shot into the top corner of the net.

Rovers had few chances after before a couple late in the half. Gary Amrstrong shot well but a deflection made the save comfortable for the keeper.

Gary Boylan was twice able to get efforts away from just inside the box but both times was foiled by a body getting the way.

The Lilywhites came out strong from the break and got their second just three minutes into the half. A deep cross from the right wing was headed into the net by Michael O'Connor at the back post from only a few yards out.

It took until the hour for the Bit o'Red to threaten next. A cross from full-back O'Donoghue was headed back across goal by Doyle but well wide.

Martin Walsh was introduced for Darren Kilcawley and he almost got one back on 63 minutes but seen his low shot clip the post.

A lifeline was taken by Rovers with 67 minutes played. Paul Doyle put in a corner from the right side that missed all players in the box and sailed into the goals.

Dundalk again threatened and a great diving tackle was needed by Oisin Connolly to stop a goal bound effort on 74 minutes.

Another great opportunity was created by Rovers after 77 minutes. A superb ball from deep by Gary Boylan set Doyle away down the left and he crossed well from the byline. The ball fell to Gary Armstrong but he lifted the ball too high and it went over the bar.

In the dying minutes again Rovers went agonisingly close to getting something from the game. Ryan McManus got forward into the box, took the ball past the keeper and looked destined to score with his low effort but from nowhere a defender slid in and cleared off the line.

The Elite Northern Division now takes a break for a month with Rovers sitting seventh on the table.

There is still one more game to be played before the break with the team in Enda McGuill Cup action next weekend hosting Letterkenny Rovers in a second round tie at the Showgrounds.


Team: Chambers, O'Donoghue, Taheny, Connolly (Hannon), Donelon, McManus, Boylan, Armstrong, Kilcawley (Walsh), Flatley (McCarrick), Doyle (Anderson).