Castlebar Celtic
Sligo Rovers

Tuesday, 17 February, 2015
1 - 8
Kevin Devaney 16, 86
Dinny Corcoran 19, 27, 65
Morten Nielsen 55
Sander Puri 59, 90


Rovers ran riot again to put eight goals past Castlebar Celtic tonight in an 8-1 win that makes it four wins from four games so far and 26 goals scored.

Two days after his triple against Ballisodare Dinny Corcoran repeated the trick in Celtic Park to continue his impressive start and make it eight goals in four games.

Sander Puri got his first and second goals since joining with fellow winger Kevin Devaney also getting a double. Morten Nielsen continues his good run by scoring for the third game in a row.

Rovers started well in the first 10 minutes at Celtic Park. But it was Castlebar who took the lead. On 13 minutes they found a way through the Rovers defence to make it 1-0.

But just a couple of minutes later an impressive striker from Kevin Devaney levelled the game. The winger hit a low shot with his right foot past the keeper and into the bottom corner.

Shortly after on 19 minutes Rovers turned it around and took the lead through Dinny Corcoran. Sander Puri delivered into the box where in-form Corcoran latched onto the ball and put it home.

A minute later Corcoran almost had his second but he seen his shot hit the post.

Corcoran wasn’t to be denied on 31 minutes when he got the goal to make it 3-1. The ball fell loose in the box and he pounced to finish into the back of the net.

The Castlebar keeper had to make two great back-to-back saves to keep Rovers from getting a fourth on 33. He first saved from Morten Nielsen before also saving a follow-up from Gavin Peers.

Nielsen again went close after 37 minutes when he shot on the volley but he was unable to keep it under control and it went over the bar.

The Dane then turned provider two minutes after with Puri getting ahead to his cross but it also went too high. That was the final chance of the half which ended with the Bit o’Red leading 3-1.

It was Nielsen who went close to scoring first in the second period when on 55 minutes his attempt from a Puri corner went close.

A minute later Nielsen got himself a goal. An impressive show of strength won the ball from a defender and he then beat the keeper with a powerful strike. He has now scored in all three of his appearances to date with the club.

On the hour mark Puri got his first goal. Having done well to earn his side a corner he headed in nicely from Devaney’s ball in.

After Nielsen again tested the keeper with 62 minutes played Dinny Corcoran claimed a second hat-trick in three days with a super goal. Puri picked him out and he beat a defender with ease before calmly putting the ball into the net. That was then end of his night as Steven Beattie came on in his place a minute later.

It was on 86 minutes that the next goal game and it was from Kevin Devaney. The scorer of the game’s first goal finished well to stretch Rovers lead to six.

One more goal came when Puri got himself a second in stoppage time. Nielsen with a cross from the left found him and the Estonian’s shot beat the Castlebar keeper.

With a 100% record from pre-season so far Finn Harps will be next to face Rovers. That game will be in Finn Park this Saturday at 7:30pm.


Team: Coulter, Keane, Peers (Dykes 45), Folan, Ledwith, Devaney, Cawley, Russell, Puri, Corcoran (Beattie 67), Nielsen.


Interview: Gavin Dykes