Cork City
Sligo Rovers

Friday, 8 May, 2015
3 - 2
SSE Airtricity League
Karl Sheppard 1, 29
Mark O'Sullivan 88
John Russell 38
Kevin Devaney 75

In heart-breaking fashion Rovers suffered a 3-2 loss to Cork City in Turner’s Cross due to an 88th winner from Mark O’Sullivan.

A dramatic end-to-end game seen Cork grab a late goal similar to how they had done when taking a point from The Showgrounds on the opening night of the season.

Kevin Devaney looked to be the hero with his first ever goal for his boyhood club on 75 minutes seemingly giving the Bit o’Red a valuable point on the road.

The game got off to the worst possible top when a ball from deep to the right side was picked up by Karl Sheppard and he struck low into the net putting the home team ahead.

Rovers got a first chance of the game on seven minutes when Sander Puri jinked past his man John Kavanagh to open up the chance for shot. He took it on with his right foot but put it wide of the goals.

Cork could have got a second after 12 minutes. Holohan was taken down in the box giving Sheppard the chance for a second goal from the penalty spot. But Richard Brush was equal to the task going to his right and pushing the ball away.

Long shot came in from Sheppard and Holohan came in shortly after with Brush not called into action again until the 24 minute when he saved solidly from a header by Mark O’Sullivan.

Two minutes later John Russell drove with determination into the Cork box but as he got close to goal went off balance and couldn’t do anything to test McNulty.

With half an hour played Sheppard doubled the Rebels lead. Liam Miller was picked out on the left side and he had a shot across goal that came back off the post. And when it did Sheppard was in the right place and finished easily.

Rovers hit back on 38 minutes with John Russell scoring for the first time this season. Steven Beattie skipped past his man with ease before delivering low into the penalty area, Russell timed his run perfectly and was able to steer the ball in.

The first attempt of the second half came from Stephen Folan. Danny Ledwith came on at the break for Jake Dykes and his free was headed by the Galway defender but a deflection put it wide for a corner.

Cork had a good chance on 58 minutes when they got a corner. Gavan Holohan got his head to it first put it clipped the crossbar and went over.

The bit o’Red began to gain the upper hand putting Cork under pressure with a series of corners. Then after 69 minutes Russell worked an opening outside the penalty area but dragged his shot slightly and it went wide.

Just after coming into the game for Sander Puri, Kevin Devaney had his first impact with a deep cross causing problems, Beattie almost got on the end of it but the defence managed to get it behind.

With 15 minutes to go Devaney came up with the equaliser. Russell played in an outswinging corner which Devaney headed at goal from close range. McNulty saved well but Devaney reacted quickest to put the ball in to delight the Calry winger.

Rovers pressed for the winner and on 83 minutes the ball dropped for David Cawley outside the box, he took on the piledriver but it ended over the target.

Counter attacks were causing Cork problems in particular and Devaney went on a fantastic solo run from the middle of the pitch with just three minutes to go. It took him past two defender but McNulty was out quick and got a save with his feet to keep his effort out.

Rovers kept possession and when the ball came to Dinny Corcoran he spooted the run of Beattie on the right side, he raced towards goal but his shot went into the side-netting.

Cruelly a minute last Cork got a third goal to win the game. The ball came to O’Sullivan and he placed a low shot into the corner of the net.

The Bit o’Red weren’t done and continued to search for another goal. Devaney rolled the ball to set up Eoin Wearen waiting just outside the box and despite hitting the ball well the keeper dived to save well.

Again in the fourth minute of added time Beattie caused problems and put over a dangerous ball into the six yard box, Cretaro was there but not quite close enough to get a touch.

There was no more time and the Rovers team left the field dejected. Next week they are back at The Showgrounds with Drogheda United coming for a Saturday night game next weekend.

Rovers: Brush, Keane (Cretaro 89), Boylan, Folan, Dykes (Ledwith 45), Beattie, Wearen, Cawley, Russell, Puri (Devaney 70), Corcoran.

Subs: Coulter, McManus, Ledwith, Ward, Cretaro, Armstrong, Devaney.

Cork: McNulty, Kavanagh, D Dennehy, Murray, O'Connor, Djilali (B Dennehy 70), Miller, Healy, Holohan (Morrissey 81), Sheppard (Lehane 85), O'Sullivan.

Subs: Morrissey, Smith, McSweeney, B Dennehy, Lehane, Buckley, Kearney.


Post match interview: Owen Heary