Sligo Rovers
Crumlin United

Sunday, 31 May, 2015
2 - 0
Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup
Dinny Corcoran 9
David Cawley 39


Sligo Rovers eased over the first hurdle in this year’s Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup by beating Crumlin United 2-0 at The Showgrounds.

Goals in the first half by Dinny Corcoran and David Cawley capped a comfortable win against the Leinster Senior League side.

Cawley was one of three changes to the team as he returned from suspension to take his place in the team alongside Raffaele Cretaro and Gary Boylan. Ryan McManus, Alan Keane and Kevin Devaney were the men to make way.

The tone for the game was set in the first minute with a burst forward down the right by Steven Beattie leading to the ball coming into the box to Cretaro, he had a shot but it was right at the keeper.

Some quick thinking from Danny Ledwith almost got the opener on six minutes when he stole in on a clearance from keeper David Meehan and almost took advantage of him being off his line with the attempted lob. It finished on the roof of the net.

But the pressure told on nine minutes, again Beattie had too much speed down the right earning him space to cross to Corcoran. He couldn’t control the ball initially but the alert Cawley kept the ball in play to get it back to Corcoran to toe poke the ball in from a couple of yards.

It was the third Showgrounds game in a row he has scored in to give him four in his last three home games.



Rovers continued to dominate after the goal with Crumlin just managing to cling on. A great run and delivery on the right from Boylan forced a corner on 18 minutes leading to another good chance. The ball dropped at the feet of Stephen Folan, with composure he teed up Eoin Wearen to shoot around the penalty are but there was enough bodies between him and the goal to take the sting out of his attempt and the keeper gathered gratefully.

Wingers Sander Puri and Beattie both had shots around the half hour, Puri brought an easy save from Meehan while Beattie put his wide.

A great opening for Cawley couldn’t be taken on 36 minutes. Cretaro spotted him in space inside the box, he had plenty of time but pushed his side-footed effort just wide.

He made up for it three minutes later with the second goal. Cretaro again was the provider this time from further out and he had too much power on his shot for the keeper to keep it out.



Just on the stroke of half-time Boylan made another good surge into the box before shooting across goal, it was pushed clear by the keeper but only to Cretaro. He took on the volley but had it hit the post.

The second half seen Rovers caosting through for much of it. A shot from just outside the area by Creatro going just over the only significant chance of the early stages.

Dinny Corcoran was denied two opportunities to get his second. Sub Kevin Devaney cross deep where Cretaro made a header back to the striker. The keeper was out quickly to make the double save at close range.

A minute later it was Ross Carrig who denied Corcoran by getting in the way of a low drilled shot as he got on the end of a Wearen delivery.

The comfortable win secured the Bit o’Red’s passage through to the last 16 of the tournament.


Sligo Rovers: Brush, Boylan, Peers, Folan, Ledwith, Beattie, Wearen, Cawley(c), Cretaro (Armstrong 79), Puri (Devaney 59), Corcoran (Nielsen 79).

Subs: Coulter, Dykes, Ward, McManus.