Sligo Rovers

Saturday, 5 September, 2015
2 - 2
SSE Airtricity League
Ronan Finn 16, 61 Dinny Corcoran 48
Alan Keane 75
Sligo Rovers twice came from behind to claim a well deserved point at Oriel Park as they drew 2-2 with champions Dundalk. 
Ronan Finn had put Dundalk ahead on 16 minutes. Rovers threatened on several occasions and found a way back into the game courtesy of Dinny Corcoran's close range finish three minutes into the second half. Another Finn strike with a half hour to go put Stephen Kenny's side back in the ascendency. But Rovers were not to beaten and a sublime 35 yard effort from Alan Keane on 75 levelled the game and saw Micky Adams' team claim a valuable point.    
Sligo's Morten Nielsen and Dundalk's Darren Meenan both went close in the opening minutes. Former Rovers goalkeeper Gary Rogers doing enough to get behind Nielsen's attempt while Meenan could only shoot wide. 
The home team took the lead when Finn made the most of Tim Clancy's unfortunate slip at the edge of the area. Finn slamming the ball past Brush for his first of the evening. 
Undeterred by this, Rovers rallied and were unlucky not to level proceedings on 32. Debutant Jennison Myrie-Williams enjoyed a superb first day out for the Bit O'Red and found Corcoran in a dangerous position from a corner but the Dubliner was unable to turn his volley goalwards. Dundalk's Ciaran Kilduff hitting the crossbar with an acrobatic effort moments before the break.   
Rovers went toe-to-toe with the Lilywhites throughout this tie and pulled a goal back on 48. Another dangerous set-piece from Myrie-Williams found its way to the back post where Corcoran lurked - the striker left with a relatively simple finish. 
Myrie-Williams caused havoc throughout. Brian Gartland did well to get his body in the way of the winger's shot after he had skipped by the challenge of two opponents on 55. 
Dundalk reclaimed the lead on 61. Finn dodged the right leg of David Cawley before smacking the ball goalwards and away from the reach of the fully-stretched Brush who could do little about it. 
Rovers were not to be beaten and showed excellent character to level the game for a second time with fifteen minutes to spare. A rolling ball fell to the right foot of Keane who, 35 yards from goal, sent his rasping drive into the top corner of Rogers' net for the game's final goal.
Dundalk pushed for a third but admirable defensive work from the way side denied the league leaders time after time. 
Rovers return to Oriel Park this coming Friday night for our FAI Cup quarter-final tie with Dundalk. Kick-off 7.25pm. The game is live on RTÉ 2. 
Dundalk FC: Gary Rogers; Sean Gannon, Brian Gartland, Andy Boyle, Dane Massey; Richie Towell, Chris Shields; Darren Meenan, Ronan Finn, Daryl Horgan (Stephen O’Donnell 66) (John Mountney 87); Ciaran Kilduff (David McMillan 80).
Sligo Rovers: Richard Brush; Alan Keane, Gavin Peers, Tim Clancy, Regan Donelan; Gary Boylan, David Cawley; Morten Nielsen (Raffaele Cretaro 69), Jason Hughes (Anthony Elding 69), Jennison Myrie Williams; Dinny Corcoran (Ruairi Keating 76).
Referee: Paul Tuite.