Sligo Rovers
Longford Town

Sunday, 28 August, 2016
1 - 2
SSE Airtricity League
Jason Hunt

Rovers under-19s where unable to hold on and ended up suffering a 2-1 home loss at the hands of Longford Town. This sees them drop down to 7th in the league with just 2 games left.

Rovers fielded a very different side from their last match, a 5-1 loss to Bohemians, with four changes to the side. Callaghan started in goal in place of Burke; Morley came in for Mahon, Frempong started ahead of Birrane and Carney made way for Hunt.

Rovers had a dream start to the game when they took the lead with just five minutes on the clock, when Jason Hunt’s free kick from around 25 yards out curled over the wall and in to the bottom right corner, giving Rovers the early lead in the Showgrounds.

The Bit O’Red’s spell of dominance continued through the first half with both Walsh and Hunt both going close to doubling Sligo’s lead, meaning Rovers would go in to the second half in firm control and a narrow lead.

The second half started a lot like the first with Rovers nearly scoring just five minutes into it, when Martin Walsh broke past two defenders and hit the post from an acute angle before the ball bouncing out to Frempong whose effort was cleared off the line by a Longford defender.

Despite Rovers’ continued pressure Longford found their way back in to the game when a well swung free kick was headed in to the Rovers net, tying the game up at one a piece just under the hour mark.

Even after Longford’s goal Rovers continued creating chances when Walsh slotted through substitute Cathal Carney who just couldn’t get it past the keeper, Hunt also managed to hit the cross bar with a sweetly hit free kick just two minutes later, it just didn’t seem to be Rovers’ day.

That statement looked even clearer when with just four minutes left of regular time Longford found themselves the lead through a well worked corner routine, meaning Rovers would fall to a 2-1 home loss.

With just two league games left this loss seems to put Rovers playoff push to a disappointing end.

Rovers: Callaghan, O’Brien (Kennoy 54), (C) Borotto (Mahon 34), McCallion, Doherty, Hannon, Morley (Feeney 54), Frempong (Biranne 54), Connor (Carney 57), Walsh, Hunt.