Sligo Rovers
Derry City

Saturday, 20 February, 2016
1 - 0
Jaanai Gordon 60

Jaanai Gordon capped his first appearance in a Sligo Rovers jersey by scoring the only goal of the game in a 1-0 win over Derry City.

The win makes it three from four so far in pre-season in the final game at The Showgrounds before the regular season starts.

That is a fortnight away when Shamrock Rovers come to The Showgrounds, just Athlone Town to come for Rovers before then.

Kieran Sadlier caused many problems for Derry early on with his clever play. He took the ball from Ryan McBride after the City captain slipped on four minutes.

A clever flick put the ball over to Jaanai Gordon, he opened up to shoot to the far corner but sliding in was Aaron Barry to make a block.

That lead to a corner which Tim Clancy rose well to meet at the near post but he glanced the header just off target.

Sadlier combined well with Liam Martin down the left which led to a shooting opportunity for the Donegal winger however a Derry defender managed to get in the way. That only popped the ball over to the waiting Gordon but he hit over the bar.

The first action at the other end of the pitch came on 16 minutes when Barry McNamee got some room to shoot at goal but Micheal Schlingermann was equal to it and tipped over.

Rovers got a free-kick 20 yards out on 20 minutes. It was the left foot of Tim Clancy that went for goal with a chip over the wall but Doherty rushed across his line to push over his bar.

Another lovely piece of skill by Sadlier worked an opening for Gordon to come in from the left. He picked his spot and tried to dip the ball in over Doherty but it just clipped the crossbar on its way down and went to safety.

Rory Patterson ran well down the left channel for the Candystripes five minutes before the break, he took a shot towards the near post that went into the side-netting.

In the second half it was the re-signed Derry forward who had the first attempt as he shot along the turf but down the middle of goal making the save comfortable for Schlingermann.

On 54 minutes the Bit o’Red came close with two chances initially from a Sadlier corner. Michael Leahy rose to meet the corner with a header that was headed off the line. When the ball arrived at Craig Roddan waiting on the edge of the box he hit a piledriver at goal but there was enough bodies in the box to stop it reaching the target.

The hour mark brought the goal for Rovers. Ger Doherty made an error in clearing the ball planting it at the feet of Gordon waiting. He took his time and finished into the bottom corner giving the home team the lead.

Substitutions around the hour mark halted the flow of the game slightly. From a Sadlier set-piece on 77 minutes Clancy was again a threat with a header won but it flew just too high.

No more chances came in the final stages of the game leaving Rovers with a win over a fellow Premier Division side.

One more friendly remains in the calendar this Wednesday with a trip to Athlone Town to play the First Division side at 7:45pm.


Match Gallery

Interview: Dave Robertson