Rovers thump Pat's to qualify for first ever Setanta Cup Final

Aaron Greene scored twice to help Sligo Rovers defeat St Patrick’s Athletic 5-1 and reach their first Setanta Sports Cup final with a 7-1 aggregate victory.

Greene struck twice, while goals from Joseph Ndo and John Russell along with a Derek Foran own goal saw the Bit o'Red march on.

Rovers can now look forward to the May 10 final against either Dundalk or Shamrock Rovers.

With six changes from the side that beat Shamrock Rovers on Friday, St. Patrick’s, two down from the first leg, needed to start positively.

That they did, initially at least, with Keith Fahey perhaps needing to do a little better than shoot tamely at Gary Rogers after a neat one-two with Chris Forrester. Lee Lynch then had a goal-bound header cleared away for a corner by Evan McMillan, all inside the opening eight minutes.

It was a false dawn though as Sligo settled comfortably and all but killed the tie off when punishing poor defending to score two fine goals inside five minutes.

Former Pat’s midfielder Joseph Ndo, playing behind lone striker Greene, instigated the first before scoring the second.

The opener came on 21 minutes from a fine passing move. Begun by Ndo, David Cawley’s killer ball then put Kieran Djilali away on the right and the low cross was finished emphatically at the back post by Greene.

The second, five minutes later, exposed St. Pat’s down their opposite flank. Ross Gaynor sent Danny Ledwith to the end line and his cross was controlled and then blasted to the net by Ndo.

Further defensive frailties haunted the home side as Sligo added a third on 38 minutes.

Cawley’s ball over the top all too easily put Greene in the clear and his finish was sublime as he shot left-footed across Brendan Clarke to the back of the net from a tight angle.

Lynch scored a fine goal from distance on 68 minutes for a Saints consolation. 

But three minutes later Derek Foran turned a cross from Ledwith into his own net to just about sum up the Dublin side’s night. 

John Russell, who won a title at Inchicore last season, added further woe when poking home a fifth ten minutes from time after Clarke could only parry a McMillan header from Danny North's corner.

St. Patrick’s Athletic: Brendan Clarke; Conor McCormack, Ken Oman (Sean Hoare h/t), Derek Foran, Lorcan Fitzgerald; Keith Fahey (Sam Verdon h/t); Daryl Kavanagh, Lee Lynch, Chris Forrester (Marco Chindea 77), Ian Bermingham; Mark Quigley.

Sligo Rovers: Gary Rogers; Alan Keane, Evan McMillan, Kalen Spillane, Ross Gaynor; Kieran Djilali (Eric Odhiambo 77), Paul O’Conor, David Cawley, Danny Ledwith; Joseph Ndo (John Russell h/t); Aaron Greene (Danny North 65).

Referee: Derek Tomney (Dublin).

Recent Articles

Sligo Rovers are delighted to announce that Damon Kearney has been appointed head coach of our women's Under-17 team.Damon brings with him a wealth of experience having been heavily involved in football in the region for a number of years.Damon...
Clinically taken goals from Patrick McClean, Ally Roy and Jack Keaney earned Sligo Rovers victory at Richmond Park as St Patrick’s Athletic slumped to a fifth successive SSE Airtricity League Premier Division defeat. St Patrick's...
Sligo Rovers can confirm that goalkeeper Mitchell Beeney has agreed to sign for Sligo Rovers from 1 July from Chelsea. The 22-year-old has been on loan at Rovers this season and has established himself as number one in The Showgrounds,...