Rovers suffer defeat by the Shannon

Sligo Rovers fell to a 1-0 defeat to Limerick in the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division on Friday night last.
Rory Gaffney struck eight minutes into the second half to hand the Shannonsiders the win in monsoon-like conditions at Thomond Park.
Ian Turner dragged the ball wide of Richard Brush's goal in the seventh minute following Prince Agyemang's superb through ball.
Sligo had their first sight on goal in the 20th minute. Danny Ledwith's free-kick from the right fell kindly for Danny North, but he failed to make significant contact as the ball fell easily for Lims goalkeeper Ali Abass.
North got the slightest of touches to another Ledwith free shortly after, but the former Grimsby man's efforts were in vein as the ball was comfortably gathered by Abass.
Rovers' Paul O'Conor went close in the 24th minute before former Sligo man Kieran Djilali shot over on the half-hour mark.
Some good work from Lee Lynch, another of the former Sligo contingent, led to Gaffney getting away his shot on 40 minutes. The ball deflected off the leg of a Rovers defender before being cleared to safety.
Sligo's Seamus Conneely had to be alert to block away Agyemang's effort from the resulting corner, with Brush stranded.
The home side captured the lead eight minutes into the second half.
Patrick Nzuzi's cross from the right was inch-perfect as the Blues' top scorer Gaffney nodded the ball beyond Brush from close range.
Martin Russell's men had a penalty appeal turned down in the 57th minute.
Ian Turner looked to have been fouled inside the Rovers area by Evan McMillan, but referee Kevin O'Regan adjudged Turner to have dived and booked the Limerick midfielder.
Lynch almost caught Brush unawares in the 62nd minute, but the Bit O'Red number two was alert enough to take hold of Lynch's bending effort after Gaffney stepped over the ball.
Brush was on hand moments later to block down Lynch's shot after a slip from McMillan.
Gaffney rifled over a vicious half-volley on the turn in the 72nd minute as the rain continued to batter Thomond.
Abass did just enough to touch Ledwith's curling free-kick over minutes later. He repeated the heroics a minute later when he denied Rovers substitute Gary Armstrong.
Raffaele Cretaro was next to test Abass with twelve minutes remaining, but again the Limerick keeper was equal to the Sligo assault.
Limerick sub Shane Tracy was denied by a good save from Brush late on, while Tracy also suffered a similar fate one minute into added time.
Limerick: Ali Abass, Shane O'Connor, Lee Lynch, Shane Duggan, Rory Gaffney, Patrick Nzuzi, Samuel Oji, Michael Leahy, Prince Agyemang (for Shane Tracy 65), Kieran Djilali, Ian Turner (for Ross Mann 65).
Sligo Rovers: Richard Brush, Gary Boylan (for Gary Armstrong HT), Kalen Spillane, Evan McMillan, Danny Ledwith, Raffaele Cretaro, Paul O'Conor, David Cawley Seamus Conneely, Danny North (for Ruairi Keating 67), Eamon Zayed.
Referee: Kevin O'Regan

Recent Articles

Sligo Rovers take on St Patrick’s Athletic on Saturday in the SSE Airtricity Premier Division in The Showgrounds Rovers are six points behind the Saints going into the match – it is the first meeting of the season between the teams due...
Tickets for the Sligo Rovers Annual Draw are now on sale following last year's record-breaking year. The fundraiser has contributed hundreds of thousands in recent seasons to the club thanks to loyal support and hard work of the ticket...
Jimmy Keohane emerged from the bench to net the only goal of the game as Cork City beat Sligo Rovers by one goal to nil at Turner's Cross. Keohane netted twelve minutes from time to keep Cork to within two points of leaders Dundalk. ...