Liverpool edge Showgrounds opener


Dave Robertson’s new-look team introduced themselves to The Showgrounds fans with an entertaining game against Liverpool under-21s tonight.

It was the Liverpool side who came out on top by a single goal with a 2-1 win.

The Merseysiders had a first half lead which Jimmy Keohane cancelled out but a deciding goal was scored by Will Marsh on 69 minutes.

The first chance of the match fell to the visiting team. Centre forward Jerome Sinclair had a chance to get in behind the defence but Tim Clancy recovered well to get a foot in and halt the attack.

The next few opportunities all belonged to Rovers. Firstly on 10 minutes after some good skill by Mikey Place he had a shot the dropped just over the bar having taken a strong deflection on its way.

Kieran Sadlier created an opening for Liam Martin after 21 minutes playing him a through ball but the Liverpool defender Tom Brewitt managed to intercept.

Martin again and Sadlier went close to troubling the Liverpool goal after half an hour as an inviting ball in from the right side by Jimmy Keohane caused problems, neither could get a telling touch however.



Shortly after on 32 minutes Liverpool went in front. Adam Phillips was their scorer as hit he a low shot into the corner of Rovers’ net.

The best moment of the half from the Bit o’Red was a Kieran Sadlier run on 35 minutes. He easily got away from Polgar and got his shot away but it was just too high.

Just before half-time came Martin threatened again getting on the end of a well-played deep pass by Craig Roddan, the Donegalman picked up possession but his shot was off target.

Micheal Schlingermann showed his capabilities with 58 minutes gone as he produced a steady save that denied Sam Hart. Hart had gone on an impressive foray from the left side.



Rovers got the game back level with just over an hour gone. A hand used in the penalty box by Liverpool’s Joe Maguire was punished with a penalty.

On his first appearance in a Rovers shirt Jimmy Keohane took and beat the keeper by sending him the wrong way.

After six changes were made to the Rovers side a few minutes later Liverpool then got back into the lead on 69 minutes. It came from Will Marsh as he pounced on a loose ball in the box to score.

With five minutes to go The Showgrounds rose to its feet to salute Alan Keane who came on for his final Rovers appearance in place of Michael Leahy.



The night ended with him being named Crozon Inn Man of the Match.

In just three days we will return to The Showgrounds for the continuation of pre-season and a game against the Irish Defence Forces, that kicks-off at 4pm.

Sligo Rovers: Schlingermann (Nugent 64), Adebayo-Rowling (Boylan 64), Donelon, Leahy (Keane 86), Clancy (c) (Henderson 64), Place (Cretaro 64), Martin (Lyons 64), Roddan, Richards, Keohane, Sadlier (Armstrong 64).

Liverpool u-21: Firth, Polgar, Hart, Brewitt (c), Maguire, Virtues (Sharia 67), Phillips, O'Hanlon (Madger 46), Sinclair (Gomes 46), Ejaria, Lennon (McLaughlin 67).

Attendance: 2,842




Recent Articles

Sligo Rovers are delighted to announce that Damon Kearney has been appointed head coach of our women's Under-17 team.Damon brings with him a wealth of experience having been heavily involved in football in the region for a number of years.Damon...
Clinically taken goals from Patrick McClean, Ally Roy and Jack Keaney earned Sligo Rovers victory at Richmond Park as St Patrick’s Athletic slumped to a fifth successive SSE Airtricity League Premier Division defeat. St Patrick's...
Sligo Rovers can confirm that goalkeeper Mitchell Beeney has agreed to sign for Sligo Rovers from 1 July from Chelsea. The 22-year-old has been on loan at Rovers this season and has established himself as number one in The Showgrounds,...