Rovers 1 Harps 1: Report

Sligo Rovers and Finn Harps played out a 1-1 draw at the Showgrounds. The result of the game is yet to be confirmed however as the tie came to premature end in the 86th minute when play was halted due to floodlight failure. 
The League committee will decide in the coming days on whether the result stands or not. 
Chris Lyons had given Rovers an early lead when he struck for his first goal for the club on eleven minutes. But Harps levelled the game on 83 as Damien McNulty volleyed home for what would be Harps' first point on the road this year.  
Sligo were going in search of their first win of the season and a Bit O'Red opener almost arrived as early as the first minute. Lyons, Liam Martin and Kieran Sadlier all combined in front of the Harps area, before the latter's shot from the edge of the box narrowly drifted over Richard Brush's goal. 
Deputising for the suspended Phil Roberts, Lyons - on his home debut - showed his goal-scoring ability when he broke free of the Harps rearguard to nod home Regan Donelon's cross from the left. This, after Rovers captain Tim Clancy had released the young full back down the flank. 
Both goalkeepers were called into action soon after. Micheál Schlingermann did well to fall at the feet of Tony McNamee and claim the ball inside his own area on the quarter hour mark after the former Derry man ran on to a through ball from Dave Scully. While Brush did well to get both gloves to Sadlier's vicious volley from 20 yards one minute later.  
Brush denied Rovers again on 37. Keith Cowan upended Lyons 20 yards from goal before Brush got his body behind Sadlier's thunderous drive from the resulting set piece. 
Sligo became dominant as the energetic Sadlier in particular continued to impress. Brush kept out the Republic of Ireland youth international once more on 39, while Gavin Peers sent a header across the face of goal as he found himself on the end of a pacey Sadlier ball from wide right. 
Ryan Curran almost had the sides level with an acrobatic effort early in the second half, moments before Rovers' Jimmy Keohane missed the target with a header from another threatening Sadlier free-kick.
Gareth Harkin skied his left-footed half-volley from distance just short of the hour mark as Ollie Horgan's men continued to chase the deficit. 
Adam Hanlon might have done better with his opportunity from 18 yards 12 minutes from time. Schlingermann could only land his attempted clearance to the feet of Hanlon but the winger's weak effort only found its way into the arms of the relieved Sligo goalkeeper. 
Harps' equaliser arrived seven minutes from time. From a throw deep in the Rovers half, the ball made its way across the box to the waiting McNulty who lashed a ferocious volley past Schlingermann. 
This was the last action of the game, as with four minutes remaining, several floodlights failed on the Treacy Avenue side of the Church Hill venue. 15 minutes later and following consultation between match officials and management on both sides, referee Padraigh Sutton made the call to end the game.  
Sligo Rovers: Micheál Schlingermann; Tobi Adebayo-Rowling, Gavin Peers, Tim Clancy, Regan Donelon; Craig Roddan, Jimmy Keohane, Jordan Richards, Kieran Sadlier; Liam Martin; Chris Lyons.
Finn Harps: Richard Brush; Damien McNulty, Keith Cowan, Packie Mailey, Ciaran Coll; Adam Hanlon, Tony McNamee, Gareth Harkin (Kevin McHugh 68), Ethan Boyle (Raymond Foy 75), Dave Scully (Liam Flatley 80); Ryan Curran. 
Referee: Padraigh Sutton. 

Recent Articles

John Mahon collected the Wehrly Bros player of the month award for May earlier this week, collecting the player of the month award for the second successive month.As a result of some heroic performances of late, Mahon has become a fans favourite in...
Sligo Rovers are delighted to announce that Damon Kearney has been appointed head coach of our women's Under-17 team.Damon brings with him a wealth of experience having been heavily involved in football in the region for a number of years.Damon...
Clinically taken goals from Patrick McClean, Ally Roy and Jack Keaney earned Sligo Rovers victory at Richmond Park as St Patrick’s Athletic slumped to a fifth successive SSE Airtricity League Premier Division defeat. St Patrick's...