Pat's 2-0 Rovers - Report

Thomas Byrne scored his first goal for the club on his first league start as St Patrick's Athletic beat Sligo Rovers by two goals to nil in Inchicore. 
Dean Clarke had given the Dubliners the lead early in the second half before the Byrne secured what was the Saints' third win on the spin from the penalty spot.
Rovers' on-loan full back Calum Waters got his foot behind Conan Byrne's drive at goal to send the ball over his own crossbar six minutes in as Pat's enjoyed the better of the opening minutes. 
Beeney got behind Byrne's free-kick shortly before Rovers skipper Kyle Callan-McFadden had to atone for his goalkeeper's mistake when he swept the ball off his own goal-line. Beeney skewing his attempted punch towards his own goal while under pressure from Brennan.
It took Saints number one Barry Murphy 26 minutes to get a touch on the ball. Callan-McFadden wheeling away in celebration when he thought his thumping header from Rhys McCabe's corner had breached Murphy's goal-line. The goalkeeper had different ideas however as he quickly got down to keep the ball out.
Murphy was called into duty once more late in the half. A magnificent one handed save denying a thunderous drive at goal from Wixted after a double-dummy from the Rovers winger. 
Liam Buckley's side hit the lead six minutes after the re-start. Darragh Markey doing well to hold on to possession inside the Sligo area before finding Ryan Brennan who in turn fed Simon Madden. The full-back's cross reaching all the way to Clarke who fired home the opener at the back post.
Pat's sub Killian Brennan almost pulled off what would have been one of the goals of the season on 74 minutes.
The talented attacker catching Bynre's corner first time from 30 yards out, but Beeney spoiled the party as he palmed away Brennan's audacious belter.
Sligo did create chances to snatch a late equaliser. Raffaele Cretaro sent fellow sub Ali Roy through on goal, Murphy again keeping Sligo at bay with another smart stop. 
Before John Mahon skied his close range volley.     
Pat's sealed the win in added time. Jack Keaney's challenge grounding Jake Keegan inside the Sligo box, before Byrne squeezed his spot-kick under Beeney. 
St Patrick's Athletic: Barry Murphy; Simon Madden, Kevin Toner, Lee Desmond, Ian Bermingham; Conan Byrne, Darragh Markey (Graham Kelly 83), Jamie Lennon (Killian Brennan 60), Ryan Brennan, Thomas Byrne; Dean Clarke (Jake Keegan 55). 
Sligo Rovers: Mitchell Beeney; Gary Boylan, Kyle Callan-McFadden, John Mahon, Calum Waters; Caolan McAleer (Ali Roy 59), Rhys McCabe, Jack Keaney, Adam Wixted (Raffaele Cretaro 80); Greg Moorhouse (Lewis Morrison 68), Adam Morgan.
Referee: Rob Hennessy. 

Recent Articles

Following on from their 3-2 win against Peamount on the opening day of the season, the Sligo Rovers Women's Under 17 team are preparing for their first home game tomorrow, when they take on Galway WFC at 2pm at The Showgrounds. Prior to...
Sligo Rovers manager Gerard Lyttle has said Saturday’s mid-season friendly with Glentoran will be useful for keeping his side on schedule after the league fixture with Dundalk was postponed.Lyttle has thanked his counterpart Ronnie McFall for...
The #bitored firstly wish to confirm our match with Dundalk on Sunday has been postponed due to the Lilywhites progressing in Europe.  The postponement means 77 days will be the gap between our last home game with Waterford (30th June) and...