Sligo Rovers

Friday, 28 June, 2013
0 - 2
SSE Airtricity League

Seamus Conneely’s first league goal of the season helped champions Sligo Rovers to their first win on the road in almost two months.

Kieran Djilali then capped a fine display with a late second as the visitors punished Shelbourne who simply wilted in the second half at Tolka Park.

Midfielder Conneely struck on 58 minutes after Shels failed to properly defend a corner. Iarfhlaith Davoren whipped a good ball into the box and Conneely shot home from close range.

David Cawley headed narrowly wide from a Danny North cross on 75 minutes before Sligo got a deserved second three minutes later.

Again North was the provider with another excellent delivery, this time from the right, and Djilali forced the ball home at the back post.

Energised by the break and with their confidence restored after big wins last time out, both sides knocked the ball around with plenty of gusto from the start.

Not surprisingly, Sligo enjoyed the better possession, as Shelbourne, with Robert Bayly impressive in midfield, eagerly snapping at their heels in a competitive first half.

Openings were scarce, though, with Sligo’s North, on his first start of season, showing some rustiness when shooting well wide after Djilali put him in on goal on the half hour.

Sligo upped the tempo on the resumption with Djilali jinking through to win a free-kick which brought a real chance on 48 minutes - Ross Gaynor’s dead-ball effort coming back off the wall for Conneely to shoot from the edge of the area. But Brian Shortall bravely put his head to the goal bound shot to clear.

Shelbourne responded within a minute as Sean Brennan put Bayly in at the other end. Sligo skipper Gavin Peers got back smartly to take the ball off Bayly’s toe.

Shelbourne: Niall Burdon; Pat Flynn, Ian Ryan, Graham Gartland, Brian Shortall (Robert Cornwall 55); Sean Brennan (Adam Hanlon 83), Garreth O’Connor (Mark Leech 66), Glenn Cronin, Darren Tinnelly; Robert Bayly; Philly Hughes.

Sligo Rovers: Garey Rogers; Alan Keane, Gavin Peers, Jeff Henderson, Iarfhlaith Davoren; Seamus Conneely, Joseph Ndo (Liam Martin 80), David Cawley, Ross Gaynor (Lee Lynch 75); Kieran Djilali, Danny North (Evan McMillan 83).

Referee: Neil Doyle (Dublin).