13/07/20187:45 pmPremier Division2018


Sligo Rovers leap-frogged Bohemians into seventh place as they beat the Gypsies by three goals to nil at Dalymount Park.

Rovers lead at the break courtesy of a Jack Keaney strike and a Dinny Corcoran own goal. While David Cawley’s s fourth of the season sealed a precious victory for the Bit O’Red.

Keith Long’s men did create plenty of opportunities throughout but were unable to find a way past Sligo goalkeeper Mitchell Beeeny.

Bohs finished the game with ten men after Derek Pender was sent off early in the second half.

The visitors hadn’t beaten their opponents on Dublin soil in their last six attempts, but were the first to strike on 13 minutes.

Kevin Devaney conceded a cheap corner against his home town club moments before Keaney took advantage of some slack Bohs defending. The stand-in full back arriving late to head Regan Donelon’s resulting corner past Shane Supple for his third of the season.
Sligo had to rely on Beeney to punch away the lively Keith Ward’s cheeky free-kick from the angle which the former Rovers man attempted to squeeze between Beeney his near post.

Ward had the Dalymount faithful on their feet on 23 minutes, but his drive from distance whistled narrowly over the Rovers goal.

Beeney was called into duty again three minutes later. Keith Buckley kept his eyes glued to Ward’s cross, but his wonderfully caught first time volley was punched away by Beeney. The Rovers net minder then gathering Rob Cornwall’s side footed effort from close range seconds later.

Ger Lyttle’s charges doubled their advantage five minutes from the break, flattering them somewhat. Captain Rhys McCabe’s cross finding a disorganised Bohs defence all at sea before David Cawley turned the ball towards the target. The last touch coming off a dejected Corcoran on the goal line.

Things were to get worse for the Dubliners when they were reduced to ten on 52. Referee Paul McLaughlin adjudging Pender to have followed through after his clumsy challenge on Donelon, much to the ire of the home support.

Rovers, who ahead of this one, had won only once in the capital in the previous three seasons, hit their third on 57.

Lee Lynch, on his first start since his return to the club, picking out Cawley who hammered the ball past Supple at his front post.

Seamus Sharkey somehow managed to keep a spirited Bohs scoreless when he swept Devaney’s goal-bound effort off his line with Beeney stranded.

This, before the Bohs winger’s rocket from 20 yards narrowly missed its intended target.

Sligo substitute Lewis Morrison almost had a fourth for the westerners in added time, but Supple got a hand to the Scot’s attempt.

Sligo Rovers

3Regan Donelon Defender
20Jack Keaney Midfielder
21John Mahon Defender
22David Cawley Midfielder
31Edward McGinty Goalkeeper
23Liam Kerrigan 19 Midfielder
26Darren Collins Forward

KO 66 80 84 FT


Dalymount Park
Rere of 1, Dalymount, Phibsborough, Dublin 7, Ireland