Report: Athlone Town 2-0 Rovers Women

Athlone Town took the Women’s Premier Division Points with a 2-0 win against Sligo Rovers as the action resumed after the break for World Cup in front of 572 spectators, writes Conall Collier.

This was an energy-sapping contest for the Bit O’Red who were under pressure early on but the Rovers women finished the game with a bit of a flourish that will give them confidence going into next Sunday’s FAI Cup game against Bonagee Utd.

Manager Steve Feeney also gave game-time to 16 players with five substitutes utilised over the 90 minutes.

Athlone Town started on the front foot and had a chance inside 60 seconds when Madison Gibson hit over.

Sligo Rovers absorbed that early pressure, but were fortunate not to concede from a well-struck Gibson free in the 15th minute that was deflected out for a corner.

Athlone continued to press and the opening goal arrived in the 28th minute when Dana Scheriff finished a Roisin Molloy cross for the lead.

Athlone continued to dominate and grabbed a second goal on the stroke of half-time when Chloe Singleton got enough on a Gibson corner to get the ball across the line.

Athlone dominated the second-half with Singleton and Gibson going close before the Bit O’Red forced three successive corners midway through the half, but didn’t overly burden Katie Keane between the posts for the hosts.

Athlone Town – Katie Keane; Kayleigh Shine, Shauna Brennan, Muireann Devaney, Gillian Keenan, Dana Scheriff, Chloe Singleton, Kellie Brennan, Lauren Karabin, Rosin Molloy, Madison Gibson.
Subs – Kate Slevin for Brennan and Lucy Jane Grant for Brennan both 67 mins, Isabel Ryan for Scheriff 89m,

Sligo Rovers – Bonnie McKiernan; Leah Kelly, Alice Lillie, Sarah Kiernan, Kate Nugent, Katie Melly, Sacey Howe, Emma Doherty, Keri Loughrey, Eimear Lafferty, Jodie Loughrey.
Subs – Keeva Flynn for Kiernan 34 mins, Helen Monaghan for Lillie and Amy Hyndman for Melly both 58m, Ciara Henry for Lafferty and Jessica Casey for Nugent both 67m.
Referee – Jason Moore.
Assistant-referees – Emmet Dynan, Ciaran O’Reilly.
Fourth official – John McLoughlin.