Report: Drogheda United 2-2 Rovers

Sligo Rovers made the trip to Drogheda to take on Drogheda United at Weavers Park in the SSE Airtricity Men’s Premier Division on Friday night.

Manager John Russell was without the suspended Daniel Lafferty and Richard Brush who were both sent off in last week’s FAI Cup defeat at the same venue.

Frank Liivak was replaced by Lukas Browning and David Cawley captained the side in his 300th competitive appearance in place of Lafferty.

Rovers started well and kept some good possession in the opening spells with the hosts looking dangerous on the counter attack.

Just as Drogheda looked to get a foothold in the game, Rovers took the lead on a break of their own.

Kailin Barlow found space on the right hand side before prodding the ball in behind toward the on running Cawley who fired off the upright with goalkeeper Andrew Wogan beaten.

The shot came back out into the danger zone and Stefan Radosavljevic did well to keep the rebound down and fire in the opening goal.

The home side again looked to get forward at every opportunity but chances were few and far between and the Bit O’ Red lead at the break.

John Mahon was replaced at half time due to illness and Barlow picked up a minor ankle injury and both were replaced by Garry Buckley and Frank Liivak respectively.

Rovers started the second half well and looked to take control of the game when Johan Brannefalk’s cross from a wide free kick was headed into his own net by defender Conor Keeley on 58 minutes to double Rovers’ lead .

It looked as if Rovers were handling anything that was thrown at them comfortably until a defensive mix up on 70 minutes let in Adam Foley to pull one back with twenty minutes to go.

It got worse for Rovers eight minutes later when a cross from the left hand side was nodded down for Dayle Rooney to nip in and equalise for the home side.

Pedro Martelo replaced Radosavljevic for the final ten minutes or so and both sides were eager to go and get a third goal.

The game ended with both sides having half chances to get a winner but neither side would go on to do so meaning a the spoils were shared.

James Finnerty returned late on for Cawley in his first game back from injury which is a welcome addition for John Russell.

Next up is a home game with St. Patrick’s Athletic next Friday at The Showgrounds at 7:45pm.