Report: Rovers exit Womens FAI Cup

Bohemian FC advanced to the semi-final of the Women’s FAI Cup with an impressive 3-1 victory against Sligo Rovers at Dalymount Park today.

Bohemian FC started on the front foot and had a shot from Kira Bates-Crosbie on target in the second minute, but Amy Mahon saved.

Abbie Brophy caused a lot of problems on the wing for the Sligo Rovers defence and her creativity kept Amy Mahon busy.

Brophy’s pace was a major issue for the Sligo rearguard and on 14 minutes she raced on to the ball from half-way and just had too much in the tank for the chasing defender. She slotted confidently past Mahon for a deserved lead.

Bohs continued to press and were awarded a penalty for a handball in the 22nd minute which Erica Burke duly converted from the spot.

Sligo Rovers adopted a policy of containment for the remainder of the half, but they were still under a serious amount of pressure and only threatened briefly on a couple of occasions.

However, three minutes from the break Bohemain FC added a third goal when a well-struck cross from Niamh Prior took a deflection off a Sligo Rovers defender to leave the Dublin side 3-0 to the good at the interval.

Sligo Rovers resumed the second-half smartly and a fine Lauren Boles strike had them back in contention by the 51st minute.

However, for the remainder it was fairly flat and both sides had half chances, but it’s Bohs that go on to the last four.

Bohemian FC – Rachael Kelly; Katie Burdis, Isobel Finnegan, Lisa Murphy, Kira Bates-Crosbie, Erica Burke, Chloe Darby, Abbie Brophy, Aoife Robinson, Katie Lovely, Niamh Prior. Subs – Freya Roche for Robinson and Ann Marie Byrne for Burdis both 68 mins, Bronagh Kane for Prior 71m, Erin Phelan for Burke 93m.

Sligo Rovers – Amy Mahon; Leah Kelly, Orna O’Dowd, Gemma McGuinness, Lauren Boles, Emma Doherty, Kerri O’Hara, Paula McGrory, Amy Boyle-Carr, Sarah Kiernan, Helen Monaghan. Subs – Emma Hansberry for Monaghan
57 mins, Fiona Doherty for McGrory 70m, Aoife Brennan for Kiernan and Katie Melly for Boyle-Carr 81m.

Referee – Alan Patchell