Rovers 0-2 Bohs; Report

Second half strikes from James Finnerty and Dinny Corcoran moved Bohemians into second spot as they saw off Sligo Rovers at the Showgrounds.

The Bit O’Red shaded the opening half but a Ronan Murray red card turned this game as a clinical Gypsies enjoyed the more impressive second half.
The Phisboro men finished the game with ten men themselves. Rob Cornwall sent tothe stands eleven minutes from time.

Looking to leap ahead of both Derry and Dundalk, it was Bohs who were responsible for the game’s first chance.

Against his home town club, Kevin Devaney’s smashed effort from out wide on his right foot had Rovers goalkeeper Mitchell Beeney beaten. However the Sligo net minder was left relieved when the ball crashed into the side netting.

Sligo, defeated in each of their last three outings, were the better side in the first half and should have gone ahead on 16 minutes.

Ronan Coughlan did well to control Daryl Fordyce’s cross, but could only blast the ball against James Talbot’s chest from close range.

Having gone close with a low drive from 20 yards out, Murray was involved for all the wrong reasons two minutes from the break.

Referee Derek Tomney adjudged the Mayo man to have dived at the edge of the box.

Murray allowed his frustrations get the best of him when he threw the ball towards the official, resulting in a straight red for the former Dundalk attacker.

Bohs had their own chance to break the seal in added time at the end of the half.

In space at the front post, Darragh Leahy could only hook Devaney’s corner wide as Rovers struggled to deal with the set piece.

The second half was in its infancy when the Dubliners took the lead in spectacular fashion.

Finnerty’s superbly timed, acrobatic effort from Keith Buckley’s cross looping over Beeney and into the net.

Rovers then had Beeney to thank moments later when he got a fingertip to Corcoran’s shot after a clever back heel from fellow ex-Sligo man Keith Ward.

Corcoran mis-timed a free header while unmarked two yards from the target, before Ward fired wide on 69 as Bohs pushed to cement their authority.

The second did arrive on 76.

Corcoran’s initial attempt came back off the post, but with Beeney grounded, there was little work left for the striker to do as he tapped the ball across the line.

Bohs were then reduced to ten three minutes later. Cornwall the last man when he dragged Romeo Parkes to the ground.

Sligo Rovers: Mitchell Beeney; Johnny Dunleavy (Kris Twardek 77), Kyle Callan-McFadden, John Mahon, Regan Donelon (Lewis Banks 77); Jack Keaney; Daryl Fordyce (for Dante Leverock 55), David Cawley; Ronan Coughlan; Ronan Murray; Romeo Parkes.

Bohemians: James Talbot; Derek Pender, James Finnerty, Rob Cornwall, Darragh Leahy; Conor Levingston, Keith Buckley; Daniel Grant (Ryan Graydon 83), Keith Ward (Aaron Barry 80), Kevin Devaney (Ali Regbha 88); Daniel Corcoran.

Referee: Derek Tomney.