Rovers exit Irn Bru Cup

A Patrick McClean own goal along with Christian Mbulu’s superb second half strike, saw Sligo Rovers exit the Irn Bru Scottish Cup at the hands of Motherwell’s Under-20 side at Fir Park.

Rovers, who had only arrived in Scotland hours before kick-off, were flat throughout and fell behind 12 minutes in.

David Turnbull and Jake Hastie combining down the Rovers left. The latter’s cross catching out McClean who could only turn the ball into his own net.

A jaded Rovers never imposed themselves on this game, and almost allowed the Scots a second on 22 minutes.

James Scott’s initial drive at goal was blocked by Jack Keaney, before the ball fell to full back Kyle MacDonald who rattled Ed McGinty’s side netting.

Sligo did show signs of life when Rhys McCabe tested Rohan Ferguson ten minutes from the break. The Colts net minder grabbing the Rovers skipper’s attempt at the second ask.

Ferguson denied McCabe again shortly after with a save at full stretch.

Sligo had their best chance of the half three minutes from the break. Mikey Drennan’s header dropping past the far post from a Regan Donelon cross.

McGinty was called back into action after the re-start to tip Turnbull’s effort over his crossbar.

There was further worry for the away side when McClean was stretchered off after a heavy challenge on the half-way line.

Rovers men could have been further behind on 66. But McGinty was comfortable in holding Broque Watson’s tame effort from close range.

Mbulu had the Colts two ahead on 70 minutes. The centre half showing neat feet before clipping the ball into the top corner from 15 yards.

Motherwell Colts: Rohan Ferguson; Kyle MacDonald, Barry Maguire, Christian Mbulu, Adam Livinsgton; Broque Watson, David Turnbull, Liam Brown, Jake Hastie; Akeal Rehman (Jordan Armstrong 67), James Scott.

Sligo Rovers: Ed McGinty; Kyle Callan-McFadden, John Mahon, Patrick McClean (Seamus Sharkey 54), Regan Donelon (Raff Cretaro 75); David Cawley, Rhys McCabe, Jack Keaney; Kris Twardek, Caolan McAleer (Lewis Morrison HT); Mikey Drennan.

Referee: Richard Hulme.