Match Report v Shelbourne

Sligo Rovers 0 – 1 Shelbourne

A 12th minute John O’Sullivan goal was the difference between Sligo Rovers and Shelbourne as the Bit O’Red narrowly lost out to the Dubliners at the Showgrounds.

Damien Duff’s charges hit the lead early on when O’Sullivan deflected Sean Gannon’s effort following a short corner, beyond Ed McGinty.

There were chances at either end before this. McGinty keeping out Mark Coyle in the opening exchanges when the Shels skipper found a way past the Rovers back line. While Shels’ Paddy Barrett had to clear Simon Power’s cross off his own line from under the Shels crossbar.

Rovers looked the stronger side following the goal and applied the pressure in their search of an equaliser. Ellis Chapman twice denied by last ditch Shels defending. His shot from close range on the turn was held by Conor Kearns on 37. While the Shels net minder was caught outside his area 60 seconds later as he attempted to tidy up a long ball from the Rovers rearguard. 
Stranded, the ex-Galway stopper rescued by a recovering challenge from a Shels defender on Chapman in front of goal.  

Rovers were denied what looked like a legitimate goal when Wilson Waweru looked to have bundled the ball beyond Kearns. Referee Declan Toland signaled to give the goal, but was over-ruled by his assistant who had adjudged a Rovers player to have strayed offside, much to the dismay of the home side.  
McGinty then reminded the bumper crowd of over three thousand why he’s regarded as the league’s best shot-stopper when he pulled off a fantastic double save in the 63rd minute as Shelbourne found a second wind. McGinty keeping the hosts’ chances alive by denying both Will Jarvis and then Gavin Molloy.   

It was all Rovers late on, but Shels held out to take the points.  
Sligo Rovers: Ed McGinty; Charlie Wiggett, Ollie Denham, Nando Pijnaker; Simon Power (Will Fitzgerald 90), Reece Hutchinson; Conor Malley; Niall Morahan, Ellis Chapman (Owen Elding 90); Wilson Waweru (Fabrice Hartmann 61), Max Mata. 

Shelbourne: Conor Kearns; Sean Gannon, Gavin Molloy, Paddy Barrett, Tyreke Wilson; John O’Sullivan (Kameron Ledwidge HT), Mark Coyle, Jonathan Lunney, Will Jarvis (Shane Farrell 83); Matty Smith (John Martin 60), Liam Burt (Evan Caffrey 60). 

Referee: Declan Toland. 

Attendance: 3,087