Report: Rovers Men’s 0-1 Bohemians

Sligo Rovers welcomed Bohemians to The Showgrounds on Saturday night in front of a large crowd, with the official attendance announced at 3,651.

Both teams went into the game in the top four of the League, Rovers in fourth and Bohs in second after Friday night’s League of Ireland fixtures.

John Russell made just one change from the game against Derry City, with Johan Brannefalk replaced by Frank Liivak in the starting team at right back. Cillian Heaney came onto the bench for the first time this season.

The game started with a fast pace and the first chance of the night fell to Bogdan Vastsuk who was making his first Showgrounds start. Greg Bogler’s clever free kick found the Estonian inside the area and goalkeeper James Talbot was quick off his line to save his effort.

Bolger tried his luck from distance ten minutes later with Talbot off his line and the ball went wide.

Bohs started to have some good spells of possession thereafter with good play from the likes of Ali Coote and striker Jonathan Afolabi. The visitors forced some corners which were well dealt with by Luke McNicholas and his Rovers’ defence.

Frank Liivak forced a corner for Rovers moments later which saw Bogdan Vastsuk go close with a flicked effort and the rest of the half was a tight affair with both sides cancelling eachother out, and the game was scoreless at the break.

In the second half, the same pattern as the first was emerging. Both sides had spells of possession and both goalkeepers had little to do in terms of shot stopping but both were commanding with crosses and any other incidents in their penalty areas.

Bohs had a strike from distance easily saved by McNicholas and both managers made changes, with Stefan Radosavljevic replacing Niall Morahan in midfield for John Russell.

Max Mata had a half chance on 76 minutes after a lovely curled pass with the outside of his right foot from the impressive Vastsuk but Mata’s header floated over the bar.

On 84 minutes, the visitors forced a corner on the left. Ali Coote delivered and Krystian Nowak rose highest in the area to head home and give his side the lead and something to hang onto.

Rovers threw as much as they could at the Bohs’ defence for the final few minutes in search of an equaliser but the Dubliners defended well and saw the game out to pick up the three points.