Report: WNL: Peamount 2-0 Rovers

Goals in each half from Aine O’Gorman and Sadhbh Doyle earned Peamount Utd a hard-earned 2-0 Women’s National League victory against Sligo Rovers at PRL Park on Saturday evening.

While Peamount thoroughly deserved to win, Sligo Rovers manager Steve Feeney was disappointed that his side didn’t get something out of the game.

“We worked very hard and we were very good in the opening half, it was just unfortunate that we didn’t get to half-time on level terms,” he commented.

“Our performance dipped a little bit in the second-half, but that’s a very good Peamount team, very experienced while we are still learning, but I’m very pleased with our overall performance,” he added.

It’s beginning to look like goalkeeping for the Bit O’Red is quite hazardous as Amy Mahon had to be carried off the pitch with about 10 minutes remaining after she sustained an injury. She joins Kristen Sample, who started the season between the posts, on the sideline.

Sample sustained a broken arm earlier in the season, but Mahon’s knee injury isn’t too serious, she was replaced between the posts by Farrah McDonagh.

“It’s starting to look like a dangerous position to play in, but Amy will be determined to get back for the next game, Farrah did well when she went on and she will be capable of starting the next day, if necessary,” suggested the Bit O’Red manager as he reflected on what was a demanding 90 minutes against Peamount.

Peamount had to work extremely hard for that 1-0 interval advantage and it took all of 42 minutes for the vital opener to arrive.

Aine O’Gorman picked up possession outside the Sligo Rovers penalty area and unleashed a fierce shot that appeared to take a deflection as it flashed past Amy Mahon.

Up to that stage the Sligo women had defended strongly and threatened on the break.

Goalkeeper Amy Mahon produced a number of good saves starting as early as the second minute when she tipped over an Erin McLoughlin effort.

Sadhbh Doyle also went close for Peamount on two occasions midway through the opening half, but just when it looked like the Bit O’Red would get to the interval on level terms, O’Gorman broke the deadlock.

Peamount upped the tempo in the second-half and had early chances from Doyle and Chloe Moloney, the latter denied by the crossbar.

The second goal arrived just after the hour and the chance was created by Stephanie Roche’s lay-off to Doyle who still had plenty to do, but embarked on a mazy run before firing past Mahon.

Gritty and determined would be the best way to describe the Sligo response to conceding that goal and they battled for the remainder without creating any real chances.

Sligo also lost goalkeeper Mahon to that injury after she bravely claimed possession to deny the hosts an opportunity with about 10 minutes remaining. She was replaced by Farrah McDonagh.

Overall, it was a composed and disciplined display by Peamount against a hard-working and focused Sligo Rovers side.

Next up for Sligo Rovers is the visit of Treaty Utd to the Showgrounds on Sunday 2nd October. The action next weekend features the FAI Cup semi-finals.

Peamount Utd – Niamh Reid-Burke; Lauryn O’Callaghan, Tiegan Ruddy, Chloe Moloney, Jetta Berrill, Sadhbh Doyle, Alannah McEvoy, Stephanie Roche, Aine O’Gorman, Karen Duggan, Erin McLaughlin. Subs – Michelle Doonan for McEvoy and Tara O’Hanlon for Roche both 81 mins, Ellen Dolan for Doyle 86m, Jess Fitzgerald for McLaughlin 90m.

Sligo Rovers – Amy Mahon; Leah Kelly, Amy Roddy, Aife Haran, Sarah Kiernan, Emma Hansberry, Gemma McGuinness, Lauren Boles, Fiona Doherty, Emma Doherty, Paula McGrory.
Subs – Helen Monaghan for F Doherty 60 mins, Orna O’Dowd for Hansberry and Katie Melly for McGrory both 81m, Farah McDonagh for Mahon and Aoife Brennan for E Doherty both 81m.

Referee – Rob Dowling.