Rovers held by Derry

Sligo Rovers were held to a 1-1 draw by Derry City at the Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium.

After trailing to Jordan Gibson’s 55th minute goal, the Candystripes showed that never-say-die attitude again when they scored another late goal, this time Ronan Boyce’s deflected effort earning them a point.

City went close to taking the lead on 33 minutes as full-back Danny Lafferty did well down the left before his low centre found David Parkhouse, but the big striker fired over from just around the penalty spot. Soon after a poor clearance by Jack Malone only found Greg Bolger and his clever pass into the edge of the box to Johnny Kenny meant the young striker had time to get a super drive on goal, but Derry keeper Nathan Gartside did well to turn the effort around the post.

The home side went close to breaking the deadlock on 54 minutes as Will Patching cut in from the left before seeing his curling 20 yard strike sail just past the right hand post.

Rovers took the lead a minute later as Jordan Gibson broke in behind the Derry defence, to latch onto Mark Byrne’s clever flick, before calmly slotting the ball past Gartside.

Just after the hour mark McGinty had to make a top save when diving full stretch to his left the Rovers keeper did well to keep out Jack Malone’s curling strike. Another teasing pass by Greg Bolger on 76 minutes released Kenny and with Gartside caught in no man’s land, the young striker’s attempted lob into the unguarded net, sailed just wide.

Derry levelled things in somewhat fortunate circumstances on 85 minutes as Ronan Boyce’s low 20 yard drive took a big deflection off Shane Blaney before sneaking past McGinty.

Soon after Patching was inches away from giving the home side lead as his dipping pile driver had to be tipped over by McGinty.

Derry City: Nathan Gartside, Ronan Boyce, Eoin Toal (Danny Lupano 45), Cameron McJannet, Daniel Lafferty; Ciaron Harkin, Jack Malone, Will Patching; Will Fitzgerald, David Parkhouse (Marc Walsh 65 – Patrick Ferry 78), James Akintunde.

Sligo Rovers: Ed McGinty, Lewis Banks, Greg Bolger, Jordan Gibson, Niall Morahan, Ryan De Vries (Walter Figueira 77), Mark Byrne (Romeo Parkes 77), Shane Blaney, Regan Donelon, John Mahon, Johnny Kenny (David Cawley 77).

Referee: Derek Tomney (Dublin).