Rovers draw blank with Waterford

Romeo Parkes missed a first half penalty as Sligo Rovers played out a scoreless draw with Waterford at the Showgrounds.

There was further anguish for the Bit O’Red as they finished the game without defender Dante Leverock. The Bermudan dismissed four minutes from time having been shown a second yellow card. 

Both sides produced three goals each in their last meeting as the RSC, but this game was to pass without either goalkeeper breached.

Rovers’ Ronan Coughlan had an early chance before Michael O’Connor’s header from a Tom Holland free from deep looped over Ed McGinty’s crossbar.

Parkes’ first touch took him away from a Waterford defender after he controlled a Ronan Murray cross on the quarter hour. But Parkes’ resulting effort was deflected away.

Last May’s game also saw both teams miss a penalty each and Parkes continued this tradition on 18 minutes.

The Jamaican denied by Matthew Connor from twelve yards after Danny Kane was tripped by O’Connor.

The Blues’ net-minder also keeping out Murray’s follow-up.

This sucked the wind from the Rovers sails as Alan Reynolds’ charges finished the half the stronger.

Jonathan Lunney’s drive from 25 yards not too far away from McGinty’s post after the attacker dinked his way past two Sligo challenges. But this was the best the away side could muster before the break.

Waterford threatened after the re-start courtesy of the lively Cory Galvin and again on 66 through O’Connor as the two thousand strong support awaited an opener.

Galvin gave the Rovers defence plenty of cause for concern and went close once more on 67 when his effort from the angle smacked back off the Sligo’s woodwork.

While Connor was comfortable dealing with David Cawley’s shot from the edge of the box after Parkes shifted play into the path of the Mayo man.

Maxim Kouogun wasted a glorious opportunity with twelve to go when Johnny Dunleavy’s lack of urgency allowed the centre half in. But his ballooned effort flew well over the Sligo goal with just McGinty to beat.

O’Connor’s next go suffered a similar fate minutes before Rovers were reduced to ten when Leverock was shown his second yellow after a late challenge on Galvin.

Sligo Rovers: Ed McGinty; Johnny Dunleavy, Kyle Callan-McFadden, Dante Leverock, Danny Kane; Romeo Parkes, Daryl Fordyce (John Russell 68), David Cawley, Kris Twardek; Ronan Coughlan (Sam Warde 61), Ronan Murray (John Mahon 87). 

Waterford: Matthew Connor; Rory Feely, Kenny Browne, Maxim Kouogun, Kevin Lynch (Georgie Poynton 56); Jonathan Lunney, Tom Holland, Shane Duggan; Dean O’Halloran (William Fitzgerald 76), Michael O’Connor, Cory Galvin.

Referee: Rob Harvey

Attendance: 2,037